Our Story

Our Story

The Foundation

In 1931, Elder Walter M. Clemons felt the call from God to start a new church. So he rented space on the third floor within a building at 8 West 57th Street. And on Sunday January 17, 1932, the Apostolic Church of God (ACOG) opened its doors. For the next twenty years, the church, under the leadership of Elder Clemons, continued to grow until it was required to find a larger home. In 1952, Apostolic Church of God relocated to 6344 South Kimbark Avenue. Elder Clemons continued to lead the small yet growing congregation until April 1959, when the Lord called him home.

Shortly following the passing of Elder Clemons, Elder Ahart Medders assumed the pastorate; however, he only led for a short while. The Universal Church of Christ, led by Reverend Arthur M. Brazier, held its services in the same building as Apostolic Church of God. So after the departure of Elder Medders in 1960, Apostolic Church of God assistant pastor Robert McGee Sr. and Deacon Gerald Nuckolls Sr. approached Rev. Brazier and asked him if he would consider becoming its next pastor. Rev. Brazier accepted, bringing along his congregation. The two churches merged, which brought a total active membership to approximately 100 parishioners.  Bishop Arthur M. Brazier remained the Pastor of the Apostolic church of God for the next 48 years.  Under his leadership the church grew massively, causing new church buildings to be built and additions to the buildings that now sits on 169,000 square foot of land.  In 2008
Bishop Brazier handed the baton of leadership to his son, Dr. Byron T. Brazier.
Elder Walter Clemons
Pastor Ahart Medders
Bishop Arthur M. Brazier
Dr. Byron T. Brazier

The Building Years



As the church's membership grew under Elder Clemon, the church moved to 6344 South Kimbark Avenue.



Under the leadership of Bishop Arthur M. Brazier, the congregation of 500 members raised enough money to build a new church edifice at 63rd & Kenwood Avenue.  And the growth of the membership grew on a scale beyond imagination.



Due the continued and rapid growth, the Apostolic Church of God expanded again; this time building a 3000-seat sanctuary and adding multiple classrooms, offices, and a television control room facility at
63rd & Dorchester Avenue.



The congregation completed the construction of yet another expansion, adding a 37,000 square-foot wing onto the church, including a state-of-the-art banquet hall and a second floor of meeting rooms for classes and programming activities.



The Youth and Family Center opened in October 2007, adding much needed space for youth and family-oriented ministry activities. The Family Center includes a gymnasium that features a regulation-sized basketball court, a recreation room that features ping pong and pool tables, a nursery for the toddler ministry, a music room where musicians and the Youth Orchestra practice, a dance studio, and several meeting spaces.

Future Forward

In June 2008, the Pastoral transition was made from Bishop Arthur M. Brazier, who faithfully served as Pastor of the Apostolic Church of God for 48 years, to his son, Dr. Byron T. Brazier, who served alongside his Father as the General Administrator for 13 years.
Under Dr. Brazier's Pastoral leadership, there has been an emphasis on the spiritual disciplines necessary to develop the believers walk with Christ. The spiritual focus has been worship, prayer, studying God's word, fasting and giving.
Along with the spiritual direction and disciplines that have been established, Dr. Brazier has commissioned seven Assistant Pastors to serve with him in executing the vision that God has given him for the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, and the edifying of the body of Christ.  Our Pastor has made it clear that the primary purpose of the Kingdom of God is not just to build buildings, but to build People.
As we continue to journey into the future, we follow the admonition found in 2 Peter 3:18 (KJV), "But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever. Amen."